Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ambrosia Salad

Every Christmas Eve, for the past 27 years that I recall, save the last two, my family would have a Christmas Eve buffet-style dinner after church. From my memory, I'm compiling a list of the dishes that were traditional to our family. With a shortage of documented family recipes in my possession, many of these foods are reverse engineered from my childhood memories and the help of Google.

Nearly all of the recipes for ambrosia salad found on the web involved canned orange slices; however, as a Floridian, oranges are readily available throughout most of the year and I've learned fairly well how to disassemble them by hand into bite-sized chunks. This was how we always had our ambrosia. I can't quite imagine it with canned oranges.

Ambrosia Salad
----------------
6 medium oranges cut into bite-sized chunks
3/4 cup of sweetened shredded coconut (available on the baking aisle)
1/2 cup of shelled walnuts (crush slightly if too large)
8oz. bottle of marashino cherries (drained)

Mix contents into a large glass serving bowl, cover and chill until ready to serve.

No comments: