Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Declaring Peace on The War on Christmas


Years later, I still stand by these sentiments that I wrote one December. Here is why I wish you Happy Holidays.

(Begin Letter)

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, but no, there is no "War on Christmas."

If you are the sort that becomes angry when wished a "happy holidays" instead of a Merry Christmas, then this is for you.

I appreciate a Merry Christmas. It makes my heart glad that you want me to have an enjoyable day on both Christmas Eve and Day (Dec. 24th and Dec. 25th), but just as Jesus would tell us to go an extra mile, I wish that all of the holidays are happy for you without regard to whether or not you celebrate them.

The eight-day Jewish celebration of Hanukkah begins at sundown on December 11th this year. Lasting just one day more than a week, I hope this festival of lights brings much light to your life whether you are Jew or Gentile.

The ancient feast of Saturnalia was celebrated by the Romans from December 17th through December 24th each year as a feast featuring the reversal of roles between servant and master. My wish for you during this time is that those you serve show appreciation for the hard work and support you provide to them.

Winter solstice, celebrated by many pagans and neo-pagans, is December 21st. During this longest darkest night of winter, I wish you much hope, light and warmth in your home.

The Nordic tradition of Yule (from which we derive many Christmas traditions and decorations) is celebrated for 12 days starting on December 25th. This is the celebration of the birth of the unconquered sun -- a celebration that the sun has re-emerged from its waning winter slumber and the darkest nights of the year are behind us. I wish you renewal and hope for the future at this time of merriment. (And hope for those of us suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder).

Kwanzaa is celebrated from December 26th through January 1st. This is an African American celebration of the first fruits of the harvest with a focus on family and self-improvement. During this holiday, I hope you find joy with your family and greater understanding with those around you.

When I wish you a Happy Holidays, it is not that I am excluding Christmas, minimizing Christianity or declaring war on your beliefs. I wish you a happy holidays because I hope that you find joy, peace and happiness in every day of the holiday season, whether or not you celebrate every day of the holiday season.

Even if you wish only that I have a Merry Christmas, may all of the holidays bring you happiness. Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings and may New Years Day find you at least slightly hungover.

(End Letter)

I've been taught since elementary school to say "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings," and not in some sort of war-on-Christmas, liberal, god-hating, politically correct way. For me, it's about economy of words. There is more than one holiday celebrated at the end of the year. It's easier to simply wish all of your holidays happy than try to guess which one you'd prefer.

That being said. I wish you a Happy Holidays and hope your entire season is bright.

4 comments:

Rocky Cabagnot said...

You pagan! hahahaha

Rocky Cabagnot said...

You Pagan! hahahahah

Matt Stache said...

Haha. Excellent. Love you too, Rocky.

Unknown said...

It’s very informative and i am sure it will help many other people like the way it helps me. Thanks for the information.